When somebody dies, sometimes the next of kin do not know if the deceased left a Will. In this situation there are a number of things that you can do:

Research shows that many adults (around 50%) have not made a Will, so it may well be that there isn’t a Will.

What happens if there is no Will?

If the deceased did not leave a Will, an ‘administrator’ will deal with the estate. Typically, the deceased’s next of kin will apply for a Grant of Representation (also known as ‘probate’) to be the administrator of the estate.

Where there is no Will (known as ‘intestacy’), the law will decide who inherits the estate.

Applying for a Grant of Representation / Grant of Probate

You can apply for a Grant of Representation / Grant of Probate yourself. Alternatively, you can instruct a licensed probate practitioner – such as Get Probate – who can deal with the whole Probate process for you and/or get the Grant on your behalf.

There are circumstances when a Grant of Representation / Probate will not be needed – such as when the estate passes to the surviving spouse. (More information can be found here)

For further information about any Probate-related matter

Contact Clarke Bell on 0161 907 4044 or email info@getprobate.com